Tom Ewing will be leading a field trip to the Rio Grande Delta, February 11-12, 2017.
This is a two day trip, with bus transportation departing from Corpus Christi at 9 am on Saturday, Feb 11; returning Sunday around 6:30 pm on Sunday, Feb 12.
Sights visited include:
- The South Texas eolian sand sheet and Sal del Rey, an historic salt deposit
- Lagunas, esteros and distributary channels in the Holocene floodplain
- Clay dunes and the 'hilly delta'; erosion and accretion
- Transgressive shoreline at Boca Chica and South Padre
- Irrigation and drainage features, and preserved battlefields
- Thick Oligocene ash in the upper valley-side bluffs near Rio Grande City
This is the first time in over 50 years that this trip has been offered.
Cost: $300 which includes bus transportation, overnight accommodation (double occupancy), breakfast and lunch both days, guide book. You cover dinner and personal items. Please send check to CCGS – Rio Grande Field Trip; PO Box 1068 Corpus Christi, TX 78403.
Please send me an email that you’re interested and have put a check in the mail. Contact me if you need to use a credit card, but a check is preferred.
Deadline: Noon – Friday, January 27th. We have to let the bus company know by then.
Corpus Christi Geological Society